The Triplets

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

Thursday, November 1, 2012

18 Weeks: Someone Hide the Candy!

This week's developments:
* The girls are about 5.5 in long now and weighing about 7 oz each (the size of bell peppers). I have almost a pound and a half of babies in there!
* Ears are in their final positions
* Each uterus and set of fallopian tubes are formed and in place
* A protective coat of myelin is forming around their nerves (a process that will continue throughout the first year of life)
* Bones are hardening, including the inner ear- they may be able to start hearing my tummy growling and my heart beating
I finally decided yesterday, after getting a lot of advice from other triplet Mom's in a private facebook group, to go ahead and call the perinatologist's office about my contraction symptoms since my OB was not concerned and had not looked into it at all himself.  I was pleasantly surprised that the NP at their office agreed that it was something to be checked out ASAP and scheduled me to come in this morning. This was my first time meeting the NP and this particular ultrasound tech and I loved both of them. They both seemed incredibly knowledgeable and open to me calling any time something seems amiss. A major concern for triplet mommas is the development preeclampsia (high blood pressure) so I am always pleased to hear that mine is still very low- an inheritance from my Father. Today it was 88/44 :) Thanks Dad! We started with an abdominal ultrasound and I could not believe how big (and cramped!) the babies are getting already. I told the tech "I won't mind if you happen to see the sexes while you are there since they weren't 100% sure at my last ultrasound." She chuckled and after checking their heartrates peered between each of their legs (they were all very cooperative little angels today-just like their mama ;) ) and sure enough, definitely all girl parts in there! I was a little worried when the tech looked concerned when she angled the shot at my cervix and said she would need to do the trans-vaginal after all and get the NP to come in, but when they went in to look at it, the cervix looked perfect- closed and 4.1 cm long (anything under 3 cm becomes worrisome). A's head is shoved right up against it, however, which probably explains the pressure I am feeling on my cervix. The NP said gravity is going to be a big factor from now on, so it is still best to avoid a lot of sitting up/standing/walking. She eased my mind further by saying they wanted to see me in the ofice to check my cervix every 2 weeks from here on out, and every other appointment they will also do a long anatomy scan ultrasound on the girls to assess that they are all growing appropriately and in conjunction. Here are a few shots from today's ultrasound:

Baby A Reclining- Heart Rate 133 bpm
(The big circle on the Left is Baby C's head- trying to steal the shot!)

Baby B- HR 133 bpm

 Baby C- HR 136 bpm

So last year, Brent and I had so many trick-or-treaters that we ran out of candy and ended up having to dig through our cabinets to hand out fruit snacks, individually packaged dried fruit strips and whatever else we could scrounge up. That prompted us to buy 2 extra large bags of candy from Sam's Club this year with some backup Reese's peanut buttercups (those would be Brent's otherwise- his favorite). Now, I have craved fruit and sweets pretty much this entire pregnancy, and for awhile there in the beginning fruit was the only food I found appetizing. I was always a salty before sweets person prior to conceiving, so I am definitely a believer in girls causing sweets cravings! So when Brent packaged all of the candy 5 pieces to a bag to hand out for Halloween I was very concerned for 2 reasons- 1) What if we run out since he is lumping so many pieces together for each child 2) What if we run out and I don't have any candy to eat?! Brent assured me that we would not run out and if we did he would buy me the children more candy. Much to my surprise, we had MANY fewer trick-or-treaters this year and I am stuck with WAY more candy than I ever anticipated. The kids we did get were very excited about the amount of candy we were handing out- good job Brent!  I am torn between 'get it out of my house before I eat it all!' and 'stay away from my candy if you value your life!' Amazing how hormones and pregnancy can change you!

In order to get my blog posted sooner, I took my own pics in the mirror instead of waiting for Brent to get home, so here they are!

Total Weight Gain: 20 lbs

First Front Shot


Again, thanks for the continued prayers. They are working!!

3 comments:

  1. Congrats on your pregnancy! Three blessings :). We are pretty close in our pregnancies. I am 24 weeks tomorrow with our three (2 boys and 1 girl). I just started reading your blog today and I feel like I am reading some of my own feelings. Besides the bleeding, we are very similar. If you would like to chat email me sometime. I am not working currently either (RN as well). MichelleOConnor83@gmail.com
    Good luck!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just read your latest blog and looked at the pics of your tummy. The one front view really shows the changes. It's so exciting!! I love reading your blog. Back years ago when I was pregnant, technology did not allow for us to see the sex, take home pictures or any of the VERY cool stuff you can see. So I live it through you! Hope that's alright. Miss you! Prayers coming your way! : )

    ReplyDelete
  3. I look forward to reading your blog. You look awesome. Are you able to feel them moving?

    Best,
    Stephanie

    ReplyDelete